Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Swim Until You Can't See Land

Many of you have most likely heard what is going on in Chile. There was an 8 point earthquake that had hit it during the middle of the night on friday. This earthquake produced a tsunami like storm that was headed for Hawaii. On Saturday morning, I get a text at 5:58 am from my friend Lauryn in Costa Rica. She said, "I heard there was a tsunami warning for Hawaii..." By this time, I still haven't heard anything about what went on in Chile or anything, therefore I was very confused. Right when I closed my phone, the tsunami warning alarm went off in Kona. It was so loud that it woke up most everyone in our building. It was a frightening experience at the time because I had no idea the severity of the storm. For all I knew, it could come crashing down on the YWAM base at an instant. People began to calm us down and say it was ok and nothing was going to happen. I went back to my bed and tried to sleep, but the alarm went off every hour until 11 am. We had a meeting and it was expressed that the tsunami was going to hit Hilo, and then possibly that after flow would come around and hit us. We were on lockdown at the base until further noted. People got to the highest structure and began to watch the waves. After a few hours, nothing took place. Some people were disappointed that they couldn't see giant waves, and others were relieved. The day ended up being pretty anti-climactic. Everyone is safe here. The waters were probably even more calm than normal. But it is a relief that the tsunami didn't come and affect the islands. Therefore, from this affect, it is good to keep Chile in our prayers for hope and comfort from the devastation that has taken place there.

This past week, a guy by the name Steve Thompson, who wrote "You All Can Prophesy", and he was absolutely amazing! He was one of the best speakers I have heard before. I have never heard anyone that exploded their heart so much to us and in what they were talking about. He basically spoke on how we are all naturally supernatural because God made us from the dust of the earth, yet breathed in us His holy breath of life. He went illustrated a lot of biblical examples into language we can understand in ways we have never heard before. He was s super smart dude. I wish I could explain everything he talked about, but there was just so much that I am still comprehending. It was awesome!

Yesterday a couple of us guys went up with my school leader, Amy, to this place called Waimea. We explored some caves and jumped and danced around in some crazy wind...it was so beautiful. I continue to find so much beauty out here in Kona, although I am more of a mountain man. I am so blessed to be in this community if radical people. It is awesome.

I am not sure if you guys have heard yet or not, but March 4th is our school's deadline for having all of our outreach money in. I need about a final $3,000 or so to be completed. Thank you guys for your prayers thus far, but if you guys could continue to pray and see if you guys could help support me financially that would be awesome! Just let me know by email (the.daniel.york@gmail), on facebook, or phone (720-470-7906). You guys rock!

2 comments:

  1. Sweetness dude. And I'm glad everything is cool; even though I imagine it was slightly frustrating to be woken up for nothing to happen! Also, your cave videos = what the fudge haha. But then again, I should expect nothing less from you right? Haha praying for you! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Dip the toe in the ocean. Oh how it hardens and it numbs.
    And the rest of me is a burgeoned man
    built to collapse into crumbs
    And if I hadn’t come down
    To the coast to disappear
    I may have died in a land-slide
    Of the rocks, the hopes and fears."

    ReplyDelete