Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bicycles, Lots of Bicylces

Well...it is finally here. I just arrived in Amsterdam yesterday morning with my outstanding outreach team. It was a long process in getting here, flying for more than 20 hours, but it was worth it. It is just so surreal to actually be here in Amsterdam on outreach right now. To be honest, it still hasn't fully hit me yet. This place is beautiful though. I got to walk around town yesterday and today for a bit and just discover the many avenues and buildings that make this town one that really stands out. My whole team and I have been battling jet lag and this whole transition phase. I am pretty sure most of us are now back to normal and will get a great night's rest tonight. My team has just been amazing so far. It has been awesome being able to hang out with them during this time and to really connect with them even more than in lecture phase.
Being in Amsterdam is so exciting, but super weird too. I think the main reason is because my sister, Elizabeth York, was just here doing her DTS and now she is gone on her outreach. Not that I have ever been here with her before, but I feel weird without her being here. I have met people here that know her and it just seems like she is supposed to be here now. She has shown me videos and picture of this place, so to actually be here is pretty surreal. It makes me miss her a lot more, but it also makes me realize that she is going to have an amazing time during her outreach to Thailand.
This week we are getting things in to gear. Please pray for me and my team as we try and stay sensitive to the Lord's heart. I felt a lot of the spiritual atmosphere when I came here. It definitely felt lonely and isolated, but I know my God lives in me and I can walk in the opposite spirit of what this place carries. The Lord loves this place and these people, so please pray for strength and hope, knowing the Lord is going to do amazing things! Thank you!
Love you all...

-Daniel
--York

4 comments:

  1. Aww Daniel, missin' little sis eh? (Who's older anyway? haha). I am definitely praying for you and your team. Gosh.. I can't even imagine the amazing ways the Lord is gonna tear it up even more in Amsterdam as well as everywhere else you go! May God Bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been feeling lonely and isolated as well, so I know exactly how you're feeling. Culture shock... it's been not seeing anything familiar. Cities are beautiful, but soooo far from home. I'll be praying for you. God will do amazing things through you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely a 'twin'. It's awesome how you will never lose that connection Daniel! :) Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DANIEL!
    This makes me miss you soooo much too! I want to talk to you soon.
    Its crazy you mention lonlieness and isolation. Most of the people I have talked to about the atmosphere of Amsterdam have mentioned those things. It makes me think that is one thing to really pray about while you are there. I will be praying too!
    AH! I miss you buddy. a lot. I can't wait to see you. And to see your crazy hair.

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete